High Performance Work System
a) High performance work system is group of different but linked approaches to manage the hierarchical approach and human resource practices including selection, training, employee compensation, performance appraisal etc which enhances employee effectiveness. This also builds good employee-employee relationships and creates an environment where an employee has more involvement and responsibility. The employees would have increased opportunities to participate in decisions, training shows them the right path and incentives would motivate them to give their best.
b) The main characteristics of high performance work system are: • Employment security- assures employee job security so that the employees feel safe working in that organization. They have the guarantee of not getting laid off for any lack of work for a certain period. By doing this employees will become more focused on their work and as a result performance increases.
• Selective hiring of new employees- the employees selected should be selective and skilled enough for the job. Otherwise an unskilled employee would not be able to perform well.
• Decentralization of decision making- as every employee should get a chance to share their opinion and the possibility of best idea coming out is more when the number of ideas shared is more.
• Training- to evaluate performance and train employees to improve their performance. This enriches their skills and knowledge and gives them the opportunity to work more efficiently and effectively.
• Extra compensation for performance- ensuring that employees are always motivated to give their best performance to get extra benefits. Performance would gradually increase if this is assured.
• Sharing of financial and performance information- sharing information will let every employee of the organization know about the position of the organization. This creates a good bonding between the employees of all levels.
• Good employee-employee relation- so that employees have a helping tendency rather than finding differences with each other and searching for personal benefit. This will allow them to work as a team whenever necessary and a team performs better than a single person.
c) The duties of a manager HRM to turn an average company into ‘high performance work system’ are:
• Human resource planning to organize all the plans, procedures and employee related activities. This will decrease the time wastage and predictions can be done more easily and accurately.
• Establishing a communication plan does not only result in better decisions but also reduce fears and concerns of employees. One of the principles of High performance work system is sharing information, so employees should be encouraged to share their ideas.
• Most of the employees are cautious about any leaving the old ways of doing their works. HR manager needs to show the current performance of the business and where it needs to be in future. It is important for the employees to know the need for change to get improved organizational performance.
• HR manager should allocate sufficient resources and support employees. Employees may feel that they are starting a new job when changes occur therefore full support is necessary. HR mangers should have an understanding tendency.
• Ensure that the change is made by all senior members and line managers so that there is no conflicts after the change and the organization can work as a team.
• Ensure to continue the leadership to motivate employees and to ensure that the change will lead to enrich their individual career as well as the organization as a whole.
• Ensure employee benefits.
• Process, receive and scan the recruitment resumes with great care.
• Assign training programs for employees.
• Maintain training catalogues.
• Establish methods to measure the results of change by process audit with some questions.
The advantage of High performance work system is that they are very much flexible and so they are easier to get familiarized to. Changes should be guided by clear understanding about every aspect including strategies and business needs. Read why security is a team effort
Get help with your homework
We'll occasionally send you account related and promo emails